CHAI strengthens the fabric of neighborhoods connected to Jewish Baltimore, through housing and community development, so residents of all ages can thrive.
Founded in 1983, CHAI is dedicated to the enhancement and development of our neighborhoods. CHAI’s efforts focus on increasing homeownership and economic stability in northwest Baltimore communities with a significant Jewish presence. We carry out this mission through loan programs, workshops and counseling that promote safe and affordable single-family, multi-family and senior housing, and community organizing programs that emphasize strengthening local associations and public schools.
For 37 years, CHAI has worked to strengthen neighborhoods, schools and communities in northwest Baltimore.
CHAI, a proud agency of The Associated: Jewish Federation of Baltimore, is mobilized to respond in times of crisis thanks due the network of agencies who receive funding and financial support from The Associated’s Annual Campaign. Our Associated network needs your support to continue the growing needs in our community due to the current COVID-19 crisis. Please give generously: associated.org/donate
CHAI strengthens the fabric of neighborhoods connected to Jewish Baltimore, through housing and community development, so residents of all ages can thrive. We accomplish this mission by:
- Developing and managing affordable housing for seniors, families and individuals with disabilities.
- Rehabilitating housing and providing supporting repair services to improve housing stock and enhance economic stability in northwest Baltimore.
- Promoting sustainable homeownership through homebuyer education, housing counseling and favorable financing mechanisms.
- Undertaking community organizing and supporting residents to become agents of change in their neighborhoods.
- Strengthening area schools through community engagement.
- Supporting older adults to age in their own homes and communities.
Thank you to our local partners, who help us make a difference in our neighborhoods! We are grateful for the support of our funding partners, who help support our community development programs and services in northwest Baltimore.