CHAI strengthens the fabric of neighborhoods connected to Jewish Baltimore, through housing and community development, so residents of all ages can thrive.
CHAI is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving northwest Baltimore City and adjacent Baltimore County neighborhoods. Since 1983, through its community organizing efforts, CHAI has improved housing stock and economic stability, increased neighborhood safety, and strengthened community associations and public schools.
CHAI’s mission is to strengthen the fabric of neighborhoods connected to Jewish Baltimore, through housing and community development, so residents of all ages can thrive. It accomplishes this mission by:
- Developing and managing affordable housing for seniors, families, and individuals with disabilities
- Providing an array of community services in support of aging in community
- Working in collaboration with other community organizations to advance regional initiatives
- Rehabilitating housing to provide sustainable homeownership opportunities for low-income families
- Providing repair services to improve housing stock and enhance economic stability in northwest Baltimore
- Promoting sustainable homeownership through homebuyer education, housing counseling, loans, and grants
- Advocating neighborhood organizing and development
- Working to strengthen area schools through partnerships and community engagement
Thank you to our local partners, who help us make a difference in our neighborhoods! We are grateful for the support of our funding partners, who help support our community development programs and services in northwest Baltimore.